6.6 kw charger on 2013 S model.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inside look at a PDM, both top and bottom plenums,

what is a plenum?
Running the tmp sensor test I realized that the previous
errors were cause by the connector for CN100 plug NOT be seated correctly.
I ran Leaf Spy and will send them to you by the morning.

Top and bottom plenums are the chambers above and below the heatsink plate in the PDM. You removed the top cover to expose the control electronics in the top chamber/plenum. There is also a bottom cover and bottom chamber that has the high power electronics, pfc boost section, PWM switching transistors, boost transformer(s), and diode rectifier stage with HV DC Output filter section before sending it to the Main Battery Pack.

Inside look at a PDM, both top and bottom plenums,
Pretty good. I burst out laughing near the end, with:

Brrruuuuuuuuuuutt!!

"Stupid combustion engines!"

The design does seem to be the result of a lot of "ICE thinking", all those intricate plastic and copper parts. And M6 bolts! Sandy Munroe would not approve. I think they could use a bit of Elon's "The best part is no part" thinking.

I didn't see any motor controller IGBTs or snubber capacitors. Are they down another level again?

Built by Panasonic.

There is provision for a jack screw to remove the cover on the front side of the PDM between the 2 center bolts that i think nobody has found before.

Also i think i saw snubber capacitors in the bottom plenum on the rectifier board, the blue M&M type caps.

Last edited:
Looks like a good setup to test for missing temp sensors.

Don't forget about the interlock on the PDM lid.

DTC rpt
#1 Temp Sensor Simulating
CN100 correctly seated
All codes cleared
Code -
B2840- 96 09 VC-74 Charging Capacitor - Erroneous Code - Quick Charge (QC) wiring needed.
B29C1-94 09 EVSE VC-98 QC Temp Sensor - Erroneous Code - Quick Charge (QC) wiring needed.
B2902-9601 Charger OBV Memory Error VC-91 - Erroneous Code - Quick Charge (QC) wiring needed

P3180 HV Battery EVC-294 VCM error. Erroneous Code - Quick Charge (QC) wiring needed
P2171 EVC-241 VCM
P316C EVC-238 high voltage circuit
P31EO HV System Interlock EVC-300 communication error
P31E0 HIGH VOLTAGE CIRCUIT INTERLOCK ERROR - Cause - PDM cover was off.
Description INFOID:0000000009329364
The connection detecting circuit is used to detect the connection status of the PDM (Power Delivery Module)
cover and the bus bar cover of PDM (Power Delivery Module).
The connection detecting circuit consists of two circuits (i.e. power supply circuit and signal input circuit).
When the PDM (Power Delivery Module) cover and the bus bar cover are installed normally, their protrusions
press the internal switch of PDM
(Power Delivery Module). Accordingly, the connection detecting circuit is
energized and a voltage signal is input.

P33D4-00 4E HV Battery Int Resistance EVB-130 HV Battery Cell Over Voltage Erroneous Code

Next I removed QC Temp Sensor.
see next post

May 11, 2024 2_37_10 PM.png

May 11, 2024 2_46_56 PM.png
I removed the QC temp sensor simulation resistors

B2830-96 09 Charger Q/CHG voltage sensor VC-66
B2830 QUICK CHARGE VOLTAGE SENSOR
The quick charge voltage sensor is integrated inside the PDM (Power Delivery Module), and detects the volt-
age at the + side and − side of the high voltage circuit on the upstream side of the quick charge relay (quick
charge port side). The PDM (Power Delivery Module) monitors the status of the quick charge relay based on
this signal.

B29A0-24 09 Charger N/CHG Port Engage Err VC-95- I removed the Normal Charge Port and reassembled....May be my error.

P3180 HV Battery EVC-294 VCM error. Erroneous Code - Quick Charge (QC) wiring needed
P3172 on board charger sys EVC-236
P3171 EVC-241 PD Module System EVC-241
P3170 EVC-241 PD Module System EVC-241
P316C EVC-238 high voltage circuit EVC-238
P316E EVC-238 high voltage circuit EVC-239
P31EO HV System Interlock EVC-300 communication error
HIGH VOLTAGE CIRCUIT INTERLOCK ERROR - Cause - PDM cover was off.
Description INFOID:0000000009329364
The connection detecting circuit is used to detect the connection status of the PDM (Power Delivery Module)
cover and the bus bar cover of PDM (Power Delivery Module).
The connection detecting circuit consists of two circuits (i.e. power supply circuit and signal input circuit).
When the PDM (Power Delivery Module) cover and the bus bar cover are installed normally, their protrusions
press the internal switch of PDM
(Power Delivery Module). Accordingly, the connection detecting circuit is
energized and a voltage signal is input.

Were these while trying to charge, or to start, or just putting the car in ACC mode?

Seems like the PDM is smart enough to know when it is missing the Chademo harness and wiring?

Were these while trying to charge, or to start, or just putting the car in ACC mode?

Seems like the PDM is smart enough to know when it is missing the Chademo harness and wiring?
Ign button, Break Depressed, Neutral. Would not go into drive.

1 QC temp sensor simulation resistors active. (did not produce/remove a DTC code)
2 PDM cover closed and bolted on front side ( how is the PDM interlock switch depressed?) (interlock gone)
3 How does one satisfy the QC voltage sensor?

B2830 QUICK CHARGE VOLTAGE SENSOR
The quick charge voltage sensor is integrated inside the PDM (Power Delivery Module), and detects the volt-
age at the + side and − side of the high voltage circuit on the upstream side of the quick charge relay (quick
charge port side). The PDM (Power Delivery Module) monitors the status of the quick charge relay based on
this signal.

Screenshot in park.png

Last edited:
charge port side).
It seems odd that it would be trying to measure this considering that you weren't charging Regular or DCQC.

The measurement circuit is on this board. There is a big voltage divider network of all those resistors, but i can't find a datasheet for the photocouplers nor see how to trace out the circuit from just a picture. Any idea about the polarity? i would guess that HVDC + is on the left, and - is on the right.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 11.27.40 AM.png

It seems odd that it would be trying to measure this considering that you weren't charging Regular or DCQC.

The measurement circuit is on this board. There is a big voltage divider network of all those resistors, but i can't find a datasheet for the photocouplers nor see how to trace out the circuit from just a picture. Any idea about the polarity? i would guess that HVDC + is on the left, and - is on the right.

View attachment 4047
hvdc - is duplicated on the left solder joints. HVDC +
no connection between the two.
empty holes at TP717 connect to nothing

Last edited:
Looks like my guesses on the Chademo board were incorrect, but it's puzzling that you can't find any continuity or connections on that board.

There may be damage on the backside or internally of that board. Might explain the HV inverter DTC faults. the double solder joints along the upper edge should not have continuity.

Last edited:
Back